District Election Information
Over a series of public hearings and community meetings held in February and March 2019, the Town Council discussed and developed four Town Council district boundaries for the transition to District-based elections. The four districts are in compliance with the California Voting Rights Act, which requires that each district have a population within +/- 5% of 6,700 – the ideal population for each of the four districts. At their regular meeting on April 3, 2019, Council adopted Ordinance No. 2019-332, amending title 1, chapter 2 of the Code of the Town of Windsor to establish a district-based election system for four districts and an at-large elected Mayor. At the September 4, 2019 Town Council meeting, the Town Council adopted Ordinance No. 2019-336, amending Windsor Municipal Code Figure 1-2-200(A) of Title 1, Chapter 2, Article 2 "District Elections," to incorporate newly annexed territory into Windsor Town Council District 2.
Sequencing for the transition to district-based elections will occur as follows. A member of the Town Council shall be elected from Town Council District 3 at the November 2020 general municipal election, and every four years thereafter. Members of Town Council shall be elected from Town Council Districts 1, 2 and 4 at the 2022 general municipal election, and every four years thereafter. The Mayor shall be elected at-large, beginning at the 2020 general municipal election and every two years thereafter.
Determine Which District
Residents can look up their district by using the interactive map online here.
Visit this page for frequently asked questions regarding the transition to District Elections for the 2020 General Municipal Election.
- Letter from Shenkman & Hughes - Received 10/22/18
- Letter from Shenkman & Hughes in Spanish - Received 10/22/18
- Memo from Town Attorney Donoghue: Information about the California Voting Rights Act
- Memo from Town Attorney Donoghue: Information about the California Voting Rights Act in Spanish
- September 18, 2019 Town Council Meeting Agenda Report 11.3 - Presentation and FAQ's regarding the District-Based Election System from Town Attorney Sanchez
- January 15, 2020 Town Council Meeting Agenda Report 12.1 - Presentation and FAQ's regarding the District-Based Election System from Town Attorney Sanchez