Quality of Life
The Town of Windsor is a family-oriented community with an exceptional quality of life. The Town of Windsor offers a wide variety of services and recreational opportunities, well-planned business areas, and a lively downtown.
Excellent Access to Education
The Town of Windsor has excellent local schools:
- Mattie Washburn Elementary School - Grades K-1
- Windsor Creek Elementary School - Grades 2-3
- Brooks Elementary School - Grades 4-5
- Windsor Middle School - Grades 6-8
- Windsor High School - Grades 9-12
- Alternative Education Program, including Windsor Oaks Academy - Grades 10-12
Windsor Unified School District provides additional information on our local schools.
Colleges and Universities:
The Windsor community has access to some phenomenal two and four year colleges and universities, including:
- Empire College
- Santa Rosa Junior College
- Sonoma State University
- University of San Francisco - North Bay Regional Campus
- Online Accredited Colleges
Low Crime Rates
The Town of Windsor is considered one of the safest communities in California. The Town of Windsor pays among the least amount per capita for police services, yet crime rates are very low compared to other communities (Based on the recent California Department of Justice Part I Crime Rate).
The Town of Windsor has received the Safe City Award three years in a row!
The Town of Windsor offers quality housing, ranging from affordable to high-end residential neighborhoods, and from single family-homes to condominiums and apartments. View a list of our current Major Housing Projects here.
The Town of Windsor has the necessary infrastructure for turnkey business opportunities. Through public and private infrastructure investment, a quality foundation has been established for business growth, including fiber optic cable, electric and gas utilities, transportation network, recycled water and public safety facilities.
The Town of Windsor creates community through People, Parks and Programs!
We have five community parks including the Windsor Town Green, a skate park, and a regional Soccer Park, over 14 neighborhood parks as well as three large regional parks offering an enviable variety of team, cultural and recreational activities.
In addition, Parks & Recreation has a large variety of activities for children and adults.
If your considering visiting Windsor, we offer some great hotel accommodations.
The Town of Windsor provides abundant shopping opportunities. From delicious specialty cuisine to contemporary gift shops and antique stores, you can find it in the Town of Windsor's shopping centers and plazas, or its lively downtown:
- Bell Village
- Bonaventure Plaza
- Brooks Village
- Copperstone Building
- Lakewood Center
- Lakewood Village
- Old Downtown Windsor
- Shiloh Center
- Starr Station
- The Plaza on Lakewood
- Windsor Creek Plaza
- Windsor Palms Plaza
- Windsor Village
The Town of Windsor has an excellent civic reputation and image. The Town of Windsor cares about its customers and strives to work together in the best interests of the Town. The Town is highly regarded, and continuously finds innovative ways to improve the community's quality of life. This endeavor has enabled the Town to receive a number of awards and recognitions, including healthy community, best land use design, environmentally conscientious and best place to work.
The Town of Windsor has received a number of awards:
- 2016, 2015, 2014 Safewise "Safest City" Award
- 2015 North Bay Business Journal "Healthiest Companies" Award
- 2015 Sonoma County Regional Climate Protection Authority "Federal Climate Action Champion" recognition
- 2015 Windsor Chamber of Commerce "Sustainable Business of the Year" Award
- 2014 California Chapter of American Planning Association "Comprehensive Plan -Small Jurisdiction" Award for Station Area Plan
- 2014 Green Technology "Green California Leadership" Award for Efficiency PAYS®
- 2013 American Council "Energy Efficient Economy" Award
- 2013 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for Sonoma-Marin Partnership "Water Sense Excellence" Award
- 2012 America's Promise Alliance "100 Best Communities for Young People" Award
- 2012 Healthy Eating Active Living Cities Campaign "Fit Town" recognition
- 2012 "iWork Well Sonoma County" Award
- 2012 League of American Bicyclists "Bicycle Friendly Community" Bronze Award
- 2012 North Bay Business Journal "Best Place to Work" Award
- 2012 Playful City USA designates Windsor as a "Playful City" Designation
- 2012 Water Reuse Association "Recycled Water Agency of the Year" Award
- 2009 Windsor Middle School Recognized as a California Distinguished School
- 2008 The Windsor Unified School District and the Town of Windsor receive the Golden Bell Award
- 2007 Association of Bay Area Governments “Growing Smarter Together Award - Public Private Partnerships” for downtown redevelopment
- 2006 State of California Governor’s Award for Environmental and Economic Leadership for partnership with Windsor Unified School District
- 2005 Sierra Club's “Best New Development 2005” for downtown Windsor