Windsor Hometown Heroes
2017 Application Deadline: September 14, 2017.
2017 Banner Ceremony: November 5, 2017, 1:00 p.m.
Ceremony location: Huerta Gymnasium, 9291 Old Redwood Highway, Building 200, Windsor.
For more information please call: 707-838-5980
Windsor Hometown Heroes Program
This program was created to recognize and honor Windsor residents and their immediate family members who are serving our country in the United States Armed Forces.
- The program is supported with funding provided by local sponsors and family members.
- The military banners will be displayed on an ongoing basis on light standards at Windsor Civic Center located at 9291 Old Redwood Hwy.
- Banners will remain in place until military deactivation of the service member.
- The service member's active duty status will be verified annually.
- When removed, the banner will be presented to the service member or family.
2017 Brochure (English)
2017 Application (English)
2017 Brochure (Spanish)
2017 Application (Spanish)
Eligibility Criteria for Honorees
- Currently serving on active duty in the United States Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard)
- Permanent residency in Windsor OR
- Having an immediate family member working or residing in Windsor (parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son, daughter, aunt or uncle).
How to Apply
- Complete a request form, including the service person's name and branch of service (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard).
- Include verification of the Windsor address of the service person or of the qualifying relative OR verification of relative's employment in Windsor.
- Include verification of service person's current active-duty status.
- Include a 5" x 7" or larger color portrait-style photo of the service person in dress uniform to be displayed on the banner. (Photos will be returned.) Digital photos 600 DPI resolution or better will also be accepted at
- Mail or deliver to: Windsor Hometown Heroes Committee, PO Box 100, 9291 Old Redwood Highway, Building 300, Suite D, Windsor CA 95492
- Application will be submitted to the Review Committee for final approval
How to Donate
Each banner costs $200. To support this program with a *donation, please send a check, in any amount, payable to the Town of Windsor (Tax ID number 45-2913488) to: Windsor Hometown Heroes Military Banner Program, PO Box 100, Windsor CA 95492.
*May be tax deductible. Please consult your tax preparer.
The program is ongoing, and applications and donations continue to be accepted. The Windsor Hometown Heroes Military Banner Program Committee sells t-shirts with its red, white and blue logo to raise funds for the program. Phone Windsor Parks and Recreation for information or to purchase a shirt: 707-838-1260.
How to Volunteer
See Windsor Hometown Heroes Military Banner Guidelines
Contact Donna Legge, Windsor Parks and Recreation Director at 707-838-5307 or via email.
The Windsor Hometown Heroes Military Banner Program is administered by the Windsor Parks and Recreation Department in partnership with the volunteer, community-based Windsor Hometown Heroes Military Banner Committee.
The Program has been supported by:
- Town of Windsor
- Windsor Parks and Recreation Foundation
- American Legion Sotoyome Post 111
- Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 768
- North Sonoma County Republican Club
- Sonoma County Mothers of Military Servicemembers (M.O.M.S.)
- 40/8 Sonoma Voiture 338
- Dan Dorries
- Frank and Geri DeMaio
- Suzan and David Lewis
- Janace and Stan Shusda
- Castaneda's Marketplace
- Windsor Home Depot
- Windsor Storage
- Aaction Rents
- Peet's Coffee and Tea
- Burgess Lumber
- Exchange Bank
- Paragon Controls Inc.
- FASTSIGNS of Sonoma County
2016 Banner Ceremony
Friends and family joined with the public on Sunday, November 6, 2016 to honor eight home-grown active-duty service men. The crowd of over 100 gathered in Huerta Gymnasium for Windsor's fifth Hometown Heroes Military Banner Red Carpet Ceremony. A banner for each of the honorees joins the 54 banners already hung in Windsor Civic Center since the program's inception in 2013. Video of first Banner Ceremony held in November 2013.